Saturday 7 March 2009

Earth Tremor in Melbourne 6 March



My son and I were home last night. He was in the family room at the back of the house while i was in my room studying. All of a sudden we felt the house shake and then a loud bump. Then it stopped. At first I thought something fell in the house... or maybe a tree outside the house. I called out to him and he ran to me feeling rather scared. We did not know what happened. then we went out and heard some of our neighbours talking about the shake. It was then that we realized that it was probably an earthquake that caused a tremor.

News came on and confirmed our suspicion. The tremor measured 4.7 on the Richter scale, was felt just before 9pm. According to the seismologist, it was Victoria's strongest earthquake since 2001. Bureau of Meteorology said the tremor was centred 5.5 kilometres north-west of Korumburra, in South Gippsland.

These are certainly very interesting days in Mebourne, Victoria. Bushfires, firestorms, rain, and now earthquake. Gosh I dont want to think about what next.

No comments: