Tuesday 18 March 2008

Life in University

I hope to blog more about life as a mature age student in university. This is my second year as a full time student. What is it like to be a student? Very intimidating in the beginning. Totally overwhelming. Everything is new and nothing is familiar. I am grateful that I have kept up with technology which means I have been able to adjust more quickly to using emails as the normal means of communication with lecturers and other students, checking library resources online and doing a lot of research on the internet. After the inital shock, life becomes rather normal. I am learning to do new things and old things differently. Help is always available. One just needs to ask. The problem is not asking for help when needed and suffering in silence. The staff, lecturers, tutors and even students are supportive and helpful. Most mature age students are helpful, supportive and encouraging too. I have gotten to know many younger students. I find many of them really nice.

What about the lecturers and tutors? Like everything in life, you get some very organized, structured and good lecturers. They turn up on time, have all their lecture materials planned and ready to go. Then, you get a few that are too easy going; where everything seems to be okay, no structured plans, no concrete datelines, everything is negotiable style. You be the judge which style suits you, but as for me, I prefer the former.

2 comments:

The Seasonal One said...

You did it! Nice header, sis.

LL Goh said...

thanks sis. would prefer it slightly smaller. but it will do for now till i start playing with the design again :)